Fostering Social Worker Location: Devon and Cornwall travel will be required and some flexible home working Salary: circa £32,300 per annum Job type: Permanent, Full-Time,...
Hours: Full-Time (working 37 hours a week) on a fixed term contract until March 2020
Salary: Circa £21,000 per annum
How Action for Children works
Action for Children does what's right, does what's needed and does what works for children in the UK and Channel Islands. Every year, we change the lives of 301,000 children, young people and families.
We provide a range of programmes, services and support structures enabling young people to progress positively into activity that further enhances their learning and employment opportunities.
Our provision is person centred to reflect the different needs of young people. We provide services at all entry points and stages of learning, ensuring the young people receive the most appropriate support, enabling them to achieve and progress.
The focus of our delivery is targeted at young people 16-24-year olds who are amongst the most disadvantaged in our communities. For example, care leavers, disabled ex-offenders, young people identified as having ACEs (Adverse Childhood Experiences) and those hardest to reach and engage. This reflects our organisational expertise as a leading children's charity, aiming to address inequalities and improve the lives of Scotland's young people.
Our inclusive engagement approach promotes equality of opportunity and includes creative engagement methods to engage with young people who do not access mainstream traditional services or provision.
We will offer work-relevant, support and learning based opportunities which reflect the aims of Developing the Young Workforce: Scotland's Youth Employment Strategy, which promotes greater importance on vocational education that prepares young people for the world of work.
You'll significantly improve young people's lives:
By supporting young people to develop the skills and confidence they need to gain employment
By delivering a variety of courses tailored to the young person's needs and abilities, both individually and in group sessions
By building quality relationships with young people and colleagues, including external agencies and employers
By assessing the needs of young people and developing individualised plans to meet these needs
By supporting young people to develop job search skills allowing them to apply for jobs, write their CV, talk to potential employers and prepare for interviews
- SVQ 3 or HNC qualification in Social Care or equivalent (Careers Advice, Employability, etc.)
- To be tenacious and resilient
- A flexible approach to working to support the delivery of services
- An understanding of the barriers young people face when trying to gain and maintain positive destinations
- A knowledge of provision within Glasgow, North Lanarkshire, South Lanarkshire and West Dunbartonshire who support young people
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to engage young people
- Team work skills and the ability to build positive relationships with colleagues and partners
- Experience of facilitating group work sessions with young people facing multiple barriers
- Experience of delivering or supporting young people to complete SQA and other accredited qualifications
- Good IT skills
- The ability to plan, organise and deliver within given timescales
- To maintain appropriate records, monitor performance and produce written reports as required
- A full UK Driving Licence and access to a car
- Minimum 29 days' holiday (pro rata)
- Flexible working, including maternity, paternity and adoption packages
- Season ticket travel loans
- Company pension scheme
- Discounts at major high street retailers.
Plus, there's a lot more besides.
This is a fantastic opportunity to make a real difference to vulnerable children's lives and to build a fulfilling and meaningful career with a leading UK children's charity.
Action for Children is committed to safer recruitment practices, designed to protect the welfare of the children and young people using our services.
If you meet all the criteria and would like to proceed with your application, you'll be redirected to an application form on our website which should only take around 5 minutes to complete. Please have your CV handy to upload. As this job involves working around children, there are some specific questions we need to ask you as part of your application process. Thanks for taking the time to apply and we wish you the best of luck!
Guidant is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.